Wednesday, February 02, 2011

kale love affair

So my sister introduced me to an actual winter vegetable--kale--that I have enjoyed in salad, a breakfast skillet with potatoes and bacon, and, now... a smoothie!  The 8 year old found the recipe in Real Simple (because he reads stuff like that).  We tweaked it a bit and it turned out really well.  Probably more vitamins than the gummy-vites I just bought (taste just like gummy bears... poison control, here we come).

kale-apple smoothie

3/4 cup chopped kale, ribs and thick stems removed
1/2 banana
1/2 granny smith apple, washed and cubed
1/2 cup ice
1/2 cup lemonade

Blend.






1 comment:

Denise said...

hmmm...I'm not too sure about this one. I'll have to try it, but my hopes aren't high. I think your kids are old enough to avoid od-ing on the gummy vites. Luke, however, climbed onto the counter and somehow opened the lid and had a bunch in his mouth...all while I was in the other room on the phone with poison control b/c he took some cold medicine. Mother of the year for me, I know. I hope you had a fun day inside.