Monday, January 26, 2009

Gaza

Do you have an hour to sit down and think hard about what's going on in Israel? I have complicated feelings about this issue (for all of the standard reasons: Israel was a sovereign nation under attack, what would any country do in a similar situation, it's all about the larger issue of terror, etc.), but have no doubt about Israel's disproportionate reaction to Hamas's attacks. The interview that appears at the links below further cemented this view. It is a heartwrenching account of a civilian family which was attacked by Israeli soldiers and then held at gunpoint and prevented from seeking medical help. It's heartbreaking.

I'm not endorsing every view that you will find on democracynow.org. I watch/listen to programs on both ends of the spectrum and everywhere in between.


http://www.democracynow.org/2009/1/21/palestinian_us_college_grad_loses_2

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/1/22/part_ii_palestinian_us_college_grad

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Thanks for the links. I have been sort of following the action in the Gaza Strip on NPR, but just in snippets (basically when I am in my car, which hasn't happened much in the last couple of days since we are snowed in). Anyway, I am not at all very informed on the politics and fighting going on here, so I appreciate some direction on where to get some answers.