Monday, January 23, 2006

a box of matches by nicholson baker

I just read this book for the second time, and i really like it. it is about 20 early-morning musings from a middle-aged man during the winter time, likely in New England (fiction). it mostly deals with the minutae of this man's life and his sometimes very random thoughts, but is beautifully written and (hooray) positive; nothing too tragic in it. actually, it is not unlike a well-edited blog, full of daily events, memories, and the occasional profound thought.

i tend to gravitate to very sad books that haunt me for months. one, the time traveler's wife (see post below) truly depressed me for several weeks. i bought a copy and then, realizing that i should not have this book in my house, i sent it to my sister. hopefully she will fare better with it.

No comments: