Thursday, March 12, 2009

what the... winter again?

I know 48 degrees and rainy hardly qualifies as winter for some of you, but yesterday it was 78 degrees here and today is was 48 and that's a THIRTY degree difference overnight. My only options for dinner were something involving rice again or pumpkin waffles. Which would you choose?

I always use the Bisquick-based recipes because as much as my family loves waffles (not me so much, but my family), I refuse to whip egg whites for 5 minutes just for waffles.

PUMPKIN WAFFLES

2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 eggs
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Powdered sugar, if desired

Combine everything with a whisk. Heat up your waffle iron. Make waffles like you always do. Why am I typing instructions? You know how to cook waffles.

If you don't happen to have pumpkin pie spice in your pantry in the middle of March, here's how to make it:

PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
1. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a small bowl or cup.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.
3. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice or ground cloves.
4. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
5. Stir to blend.
6. Makes 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

3 comments:

prism said...

huh.
I've never had to whip eggs for waffles before... of course, I probably don't have the greatest recipe. I don't make them very often - they take sooo long to cook.

Chieko said...

That sounds yummy. I haven't found a satisfying waffle recipe yet, so I'll try it sometime when I have the canned pumpkin stuff.

Patty O. said...

Mmmmm, pumpkin waffles. Those sound tasty. I have a BHG recipe that doesn't call for whipping eggs (at least I don't think it does. I never do whip them and the waffles turn out ok...)

I know what you mean about the weather. It's those huge drops that kill you. We had weather in the 70s this week too and then it dropped down to the 30s. Now I think it is supposed to get back up to the 50s this week. Just the perfect weather for everyone to get sick in! Lovely. I am so ready for spring to stick around. The decrease in the heating bill alone will make it wonderful!