Monday, December 17, 2007

instantly forgettable!



Oooh! Finally my scanner is fixed and I can post this hilarious DVD cover. Sincere apologies to Patty; I couldn't resist. This thoroughly legal and certainly not pirated movie is one of many we bought in China over the summer. First there's the lavish praise supposedly quoted from L.A. Weekly up at the top. Reading on, the text there on the bottom indicates this movie is actually "The 6th Day" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yet the proof of purchase up top by the barcode tells us we're buying a copy of "The Ladykillers." One can only imagine what a mash-up of the three films would look like. Wait... Naomi Watts and Arnold Schwarzenegger? King Kong, maybe?

In a similar vein, while in China we saw many, many fine examples of wacky English. You can see what I'm talking about here.

I hasten to add that my written Chinese is on par with that of a 4-year old, so no offense intended here.

4 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

That is hilarious! That open quote is driving me nuts...

Unknown said...

but was the movie any good??? or is the quote true???

beckmarsh said...

I liked the movie. I'm not much of a reviewer, though, so I will refer you to Patty's blog entry about it:

http://pancakesgoneawry.blogspot.com/2007/07/movie-recommendations.html

Patty O. said...

This is GREAT!!!! I love the email from engrish.com you sent. Boy, that just brings back all kinds of memories. I will have to pull out my HK photo albums. They have the BEST little sayings on them. This time of year I always think of some of the coolest Chinese Christmas cards I got while in Hong Kong. One that I saved actually has a picture of a cracker on the front. From the looks of it, it is a Triscuit. I have no idea what that's about, but I just love. I will hunt it down and send you a scan of it. This stuff just makes my day!!!