Monday, November 10, 2008

ruined... almost

I just realized that youtube has many, many period piece movies up. I sat down to watch "Rebecca," based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier, a book I have read about 15 times. I first picked it up because of the title and looooved it. I've since grown out of it a bit, but I was still interested in watching a recentish film version of it. I got to part 3 and had to abandon it because it was ruining the sets and characters I've conceived over the years. I didn't want to replace those mental pictures with someone else's interpretation. Do you know what I mean?

Totally unrelated, you have to check out the website for this documentary called "Awake My Soul." You can watch a trailer to see what it's about. I'm not sure where to find it; I'd love to watch the whole thing, but for now I just visit the website from time to time to listen to the very cool, old-timey and sort of spooky hymns that stream on it.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

The weekend that Troy was out of town, I watched both versions of Rebecca on YouTube- I came to the conclusion that I didn't like either of them. I tried reading Mrs. DeWinter- that was horrible. Yes, there are some things better left to our own imagery.

Patty O. said...

I love that book. I also have seen one of the fim versions, but don't really remember it, but I know what you mean about the film ruining your image. This has happened quite a few times to me, though at present I can't think of a specific example....