Thursday, January 10, 2008

thank heaven ... for grown-up girls

Sometimes I'm just so grateful for my friends here. Although I haven't met many people here that I feel as close to as my sister or certain college friends, I'm just so blessed to have a strong web of church friends, neighbors, moms of my boys' friends. I had a smallish birthday party for one friend today, and it was just so nice, for lack of a better word. An almost spring-like breeze waving through the house, chicken salad and lemonade, grandmothers and moms and wee little babies, toddlers knocking stuff off the coffee table. And then later a towering chocolate layer cake (because there must be chocolate if I'm hosting something, I know it's a cliche by now, but it's become axiomatic in my house). Just laid back and relaxing, talking about mom stuff and politics a little and mutual acquaintances. Just nice.

1 comment:

Patty O. said...

Wow, that sounds heavenly. I am so glad you have some good friends there! I have some great people at church and am trying to get out there and make some new friends. It is really a blessing that I used to take for granted.

P.S. Did you make the towering chocolate cake? If so, can I have the recipe? I am salivating just thinking of it!