Friday, January 29, 2010

it doesn't look like an implement of torture


I made some curtains for the boys' room today. I really love the big circle graphic thing on the right side. I have two curtain-related confessions, though. The first is: these curtains are made out of sheets, sheets that I bought at a grocery store in Texas. Yes, sheets from a grocery store. For $1.99, no less. I saw those groovy circles and knew one day they would grace a pair of curtains. The other confession is that it required 65 minutes, a couple of zip ties and medical tape to get these ridiculous curtains hung. Why? Because I used one of these little numbers:

Yes, the kind of curtain rod I swore after college never to use again. But the hardware was already in place, courtesy of the last owner and I thought, "Why not? People use these things all the time. It'll work fine." This same logic has led to all manner of horrible TV shows, incidentally. "Survivor is so popular! Why not apply that formula to courtship, weight loss, applying for a job, dating, cooking..."

I digress. Suffice it to say that in the time it took to hang that ridiculous curtain rod, I could have gone to Target to buy a real curtain rod and picked up a Sonic Chocolate Diet Coke, thus avoiding a a great deal of frustration and swearing under my breath.

Ah, well. Sleep soundly, my children. There are some lovely modernish curtains to keep out the cold and harsh light of morning. And plenty of medical tape nearby should you require it in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

Patty O. said...

Oh, I feel your pain. We have the same hardware on many of our windows and I HATE it. Of course, I never think to make a change until I am in the middle of wrestling with (and swearing at) those blasted rods.

I love your curtains though, and you know it is always a good idea to have plenty of medical tape nearby. And Bil swears by zip ties. He once bought a tube of 800 of them and vows that he will someday use every last one of them. I think he has about 435 left.

Chieko said...

Cool curtains! I wouldn't have guessed!!