Monday, October 29, 2007

life in the tent

As much as I loved the comfort food pasta dish below, it didn't stave off the chest cold for me. I spent 2 1/2 nights of misery, falling asleep too late, waking up often, even possibly pulling a muscle right below my ribs from all of the infernal coughing. Finally in the middle of the night I remembered a tent-like structure I had made for Flash a few years ago. Granted, it was easier then because he was in a crib, but my Nyquil-addled mind still managed to put together a respectable sheet tent. The humidifier pumps steamy air directly into the door of the tent and FINALLY I can get some sleep. The whole setup lends a sort of 19th-century feel to my bedroom. I should have some mustard plasters and leeches at the ready to complete the scene.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

what -- no picture???? ha ha

F Minus said...

Try gargling with Listerine three or four times a day. It will kill anything living in your throat that shouldn't be there, and a few of the things that should!

Patty O. said...

I have been trying to get Bil to try the tent ever since you told me about it. You are so resourceful!

prism said...

I know of an herbal tea that truly works wonders for colds - it's the best one I've found (of course I stopped looking after I found one that worked!). It's Celestial Seasonings' Echinacea Complete Care (koala bear on front). It's really tasty because it has peppermint in it, along with chamomile and some other good stuff. Just put a little honey in it and it's great.

If I drink a cup right as I feel a sickness coming on, it knocks it out and I am spared the whole ordeal. If I'm too late, it still helps with the congestion and sore throat.

Down side? Not for kids.

Lindsay said...

oh little honey! Tony's listerine advice is really good - you seriously do it three or four times a day and it works very well. so sorry you're feeling terrible. it's always the nights that are the worst - right when you need the most help! so many times I have been up all night, then in a drug haze make it to the couch, where my brain tells me I will sleep better.
get well soon!

World's Worst Grandpa said...

When I'm sick, I just swallow a handful of jagged stones. It's kind of a placebo thing.